Tuesday, June 8, 2010

McCloud Memorial Day- 10 days


Well here it is, a week late, but it's ALL denny's fault (this will become a recognized theme to all) because he took the pictures but in his infinite wisdom was more worried about buying a house in Texas, visiting Austin and travelling for Visa to Denver- I mean priorities. Helloooo ! But anyway, gonna post about the trip and use my woefully inadequate pictures.
Trip started out with a cancellation the previous weekend due to the minor motorcycle issue, so I decided to brave the crowds and try to camp at one of the most popular camp sites on the McCloud river over Memorial day holiday. This picture is all my recently acquired camping gear which easily fit into ole Jo. I was able even to create a little kitchen bag using a make-up travel bag that has all the essentials for cooking including 3 kinds of olive oil, my Penzy's spices, salt, pepper, Nick's cajun seasoning, oregeno and red pepper.

I was able to leave on Thurs night and get to Redding with all my camping gear and Claude for a very early departure on Friday morning. Stayed at the Gaia again and slept well, got up and grabbed some starbucks but decided to skip the grocery store (error #1) in favor of getting to Ah-di-na early enough to get a campsite. After passing 5 police (going the speed limit thanks to my radar detector) I was able to get there by 9am, stopped at the Chevron to get some gasoline and while buying the last two cords of wood- was informed by a local I could get a permit for a fire down the road- now this is about my 3rd fire for which I have never had a permit- who knew ?

So I went to the ranger station and secured said permit AFTER waiting almost 20 mins with Claude in my truck while the one woman "working" was on the phone talking about mushrooms. Turns out that mushroom picking is a very large revenue stream for the locals and causes many issues with people buying them with no permits or picking certain varities with no permits and even threatening the woman that they would get their ticket dismissed. Learned more about mushrooms than I ever wanted to know but once she was off the phone, the free permit took less than 30 seconds to secure. So we were legal, unfortunately the 20 mins could have been spent sleeping earlier but oh well, what can you do.



Headed to Ai-Di-Na which is about an hour and a half drive from the city of McCloud. Was able to secure a campsite early on and got some gear unloaded, registered the site with the tag (key thing we learned from July 4th at Lakes Basin AFTER we had setup our entire camp only to find out that there are papers where people reserve or post their registration- and thus had to break and setup camp twice) but anyway, got a great site right on the river and I headed off to fish. Not sure what time Dennis would be returning, I headed up to the Nature Conservancy and tried my luck with a walk-in tag- there are only 10 rods a day on this water- as a side note this is a great organization (the conservancy) and was able to get in, fish and meet a really cool camp host who showed me some great spots. Of course I was worried about Claude being in the truck for the first time but of course upon return he was fine...I met Dennis back at the campsite (he recongized my taco bag first, the paper bag with my name on it afterwards) and we enjoyed our first night outdoors.

Of course I had forgotten the grocery items which I had texted for Dennis to pickup, luckily he brought a huge ice chest of food (as I was packing I realized I had food for 2 nights and was staying 3-4 nights) but even worse, I had forgotten to have caffeine and had a raging killer monster headache. After dinner we hit the sack- Denny in his Toureg with Charlie and me and Claude in the back of Jo. It wasn't that late but everyone was tired. About an hour later, I realize that the sleeping bag and thermal coat are in the backseat of the truck and I am gonna need them- the temperatures dropped below freezing- so Claude and I were cold, my head was hurting and I couldn't fall asleep. In true Milton fashion- I decide right then and there that the truck is going to roll off into the river during a huge earthquake and if it doesn't I am going to quite fly fishing all-together and sell my truck because I just can't camp. Needless to say, it was a bit of an overreaction and once I got the sleeping bag- we were able to sleep.

The next day we have a good breakfast, I drink more coffee than usual to catch up on my caffeine deficiency and we head out to fish. The weather warms up, the McCloud is just a gorgeous river and we find plenty of water to fish. I may not have to quit after all. We don't have spectacular fishing but a couple of fish will do and we once again have a nice dinner, light a fire and enjoy the outdoors- the dogs of course are having a ball, they are getting to romp and explore and nap together, so its all working out. We head to bed the second night and fall asleep no problem and have a great nights rest to prepare us for some tough fishing the next day.
We decide to try some new water, after having a bit of tough time fishing the McCloud on the Pacific Crest trail access, we head to the Upper McCloud where I once again confuse our respective fishing direction and we both proceed to pass in the night after many hours of hiking, fishing and zero catching- I didn't see bugs, fish or even have a bite while access was super-difficult and many animal poo droppings made the hiking a bit scary. I was however able to get cell phone service for the first time in two days and called baby MEG who is now 16 years old, if you can believe it ! Didn't get a hold of her but wished her a very happy birthday which I already know she's having since she got a car !!
We head once again back to the Conservancy to see if anything is going on there- we saw many amazing hatches but no boils or fish rising, so we just couldn't win for trying.
On my way out of the conservancy I meet a guy who is dressed in regular clothes (i.e. no fishing shirt or cap) and is carrying a bag, so I inquire if he was out picking mushrooms (thinking he might think I am a clever local) but of course it turns out he is staying in the cabin ON the convervancy which is pretty much reserved for very large donors and CEOs- so I immediately sort of insult him but he takes my inquiry well and says that no, he is in fact staying at the cabin and is a big fly fisherman. After a brief talk and he helps me pick out some flies to try, he says that I should join him for a trip to Zimbabwe in the fall- to which I reply I have already been and in that conversation we realize he knows Arden (from Houston who now lives in Boston), he knows my friend Marcy Fraser in San Francisco (does non-profit work and goes to my women's meeting on Thurs) and his best-friend is a woman I met at a party once from Visa...Now what are the odds that he would know 3 people from very different parts of my life- uncanny. Anyway, it was fun talking with him and I am hoping his work with restoring Coho salmon runs worked out, he was leaving for the Klamath the next day.

I head back to camp for what turns out to be the last night out, we have a fire and have hot dogs (all beef organic of course) as Dennis continues to very patiently help me with understanding the essentials of building fires and such. We have a great chat by the fire, the dogs are at this point beyond exhausted and ready to go home. The next morning I awaken to rain and since the fishing hasn't been spectacular, decide to break camp and head home. Denny peeks his head out and asks if I know it's 5:30 in the morning- to which I reply no, I don't wear a watch but I want to beat traffic and we pack it up and head out. I get to Dana's around noon to drop off Claude and on my way from her house to mine the SFPD pull me over. Turns out my registration sticker from CarMax was incorrectly sent with January as the month instead of December, so the very nice policeman lets me go with no ticket but again, to drive about 6 hours only to get pulled over in SF- classic.
Anyway, Jo was perfect and my fly fishing obsession is still in tact. Hoping to go this weekend but probably gonna have to wait, heading to Nevada week after next to private water.

1 comment:

  1. Just now reading this...it is so wonderfully written. You are such a gifted (and talented) person! The river scenes are postcard perfect. So glad you didn't have to "quit fishing"...and glad your truck didn't roll into the water! As usual, Claude is the perfect little man...I look forward to reading about all the fishing experiences.

    ReplyDelete